The following Committees do the work of the Worthley Pond Association, but they depend on volunteers in many ways. Please connect with the contact person listed if you have the interest and time to help. Thanks!!
Contact: Steve Gallant
Purpose: To bring activity to the pond. It is time for families and friends to enjoy a Holiday weekend. The parade of decorated boats and many decorated cottages draw lots of people to the pond for a weekend of Christmas in July.
- For those who are planning on entering the boat competition, be sure to pick up a identification number at the Bus to identify your boat for the judges
- Decorate boats and cottages
- Orchestrate the parade of boats
- Visit from Santa via jet ski
- Escort judges around the pond to designate awards
- Advertise event on Channel 7, in the local newspapers, and on the Worthley Pond Facebook page and website
How you can help: We need 2-3 judges and a pontoon boat to take the judges around the pond on Saturday night.
Contact: Tina West
Purpose: Provide information about WPA news and events, as well as general information related to the WPA Association. Information is relayed to WPA members via email (if the member has shared his/her email with the WPA), the WPA website, Facebook, and the WPA bulletin board.
- Update the WPA bulletin board
- Distribute the WPA newsletter once a year, usually by March
- Update the WPA website and Facebook page to include 2017 WPA events and other information, as necessary or as requested
How you can help:
- Please provide your email address so that important communications (1) can more quickly be distributed AND (2) can be distributed without incurring the cost of a postage stamp (.49 * 200 members = $98 per distribution)
- If there is other information that you’d like to see on the WPA website, Facebook, or the bulletin board, please let Tina know.
Courtesy Boat Inspections
Contact: Jim Denholm, Lakes Environmental Association (LEA) Coordinator
Purpose: Our sole purpose is to prevent invasive plants from getting in the lake. Click here for more information.
Activities: Inspect as many boats going into Worthley Pond as possible between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
How you can help: VOLUNTEER to do Courtesy Boat Inspections! Contact Jim or Fran Bird (207) 562-6039.
Purpose: To have fun AND to raise money. The golf event is in it 8th year and is the largest money maker for the Worthley Pond Association. The proceeds from the event are used to keep our pond clean and free from invasive plants.
- Mark Bakke organizes the teams and determines where to place them on the course. He also takes care of the scoring system.
- On the day of the event, the WPA Treasurer signs in the teams and collects the tournament fees. After the event, the WPA Treasurer helps Jim and Tim complete the final payout for the event.
- Jim and Tim take care of the lunch details, the hole in one acknowledgements, and are the points of contact for questions related to the event.
How you can help: VOLUNTEER!
- Hole Sponsor Committee: Ask local businesses and/or people to “sponsor a hole,” i.e. donate money to support the event and, in return, get a bit of advertising; this is the largest source of income for the event.
- Raffle and 50/50 Raffle Committee: Sell raffle and 50/50 raffle tickets the day of the event.
- Set Up and Clean Up Committee: Set up the evening before the event and clean up at the end of the event.
- Prize Committee: Ask local businesses to donate prizes for the event. This is the most important committee because the more prizes we get, the better the golf tournament. We strive to get between 35 to 50 prizes.
- The Fun Committee: On the day of the event, be available to cover certain holes and make sure that the participants are having a great time.
Contact: Dave Ellis
Purpose: To have a fun, easy, social gathering of those who live or summer at Worthley Pond, with attendance encouraged by offering free ice cream.
Activities: Have the ice cream social, rain or shine, on the Sunday of the Christmas in July weekend celebration.
How you can help: If you have any suggestions that would make this event more enticing for people to attend, please contact Dave.
Contact: Dave Clement
Purpose: Encourages all Worthley Pond landowners to manage and landscape their property to protect pond water quality by eliminating sources of polluted runoff, particularly soil erosion.
- Recruit 8-10 WPA members to contact landowners who have not yet initiated LakeSmart Plans
- Contact landowners with nonpoint source (NPS) sites from 2016 Watershed Survey and offer to assist them in alleviating polluted runoff by developing a LakeSmart Plan for their entire property
- Continue to promote WPA LakeSmart Program in newsletter, bulletin board, website, Facebook , local news media and personal contact
Note: The LakeSmart program is voluntary but our goal is to get 100% participation
How you can help: Volunteer!! We need 8-10 volunteers identified by early spring to contact shorefront owners and sign them up for a LakeSmart review. The actual LakeSmart plans will be developed using the technical expertise of Oxford County Soil & Water Conservation District at no cost to the owners, but followup will need to be done by the volunteers.
Contact: Gary Nash
Contact: Peter Brawn
Purpose: Inspect all of the water that enters Worthley Pond, whether it be streams, ditches, directly over ground surface or through groundwater and produce a comprehensive report of those areas that need focus to ensure that Worthley Pond remains clear and clean well into the future.
Activities: By the end of May, send out letters to the 90 landowners where problems were discovered during the watershed survey, encouraging them to get in touch with Dave Clement and the Lake Smart program.
Welcome Back Social
Contact: Andy Shorey
Purpose: To have a fun, easy, social gathering of those who live or summer at Worthley Pond, with attendance encouraged by offering free coffee, donut holes, and various baked goods.
- Set up WPA committee tables
- Set up WPA membership table
- Give away WPA gear bags
- Raffle off a Susan Sypher painting
How you can help: Come and get reacquainted with old friends or meet new friends!